Saturday, September 7, 2013

Question of Spiders.

The Smiling Spider - Odilon Redon

I'm an arachnophobe. I mean, I'm really not a fan of spiders. At all; so why am I writing a post of them? Well I want to pause for a moment and think what spiders symbolize.

Honestly if you want to ask my opinion? The spider always looked like it symbolized sin. It's eight legs, ten eyes, mandibles and grossly inflated abandonment looked far too hideous to be something of God's creation. I wonder why He made those things. Of course that's somewhat of an overly negative view of spiders. They're His Creation, whether I like them or not, and the one Biblical reference to the animal is the positive one.

I still don't like them.

So here's a question? How can one view something entirely loathsome as part of God's creation? This is sort of where this interesting question comes in. What's a matter of taste and what's part of appreciating God's Creation? Do I have a duty to appreciate Spiders given that they are something God created, or am I allowed to have my own tastes in that area?

This is something I've been pondering. I'm not sure on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment