Tuesday, July 23, 2013

To alert you of a brilliant post.

http://exhortationsbyelizabeth.blogspot.com/2013/07/intelligence.html

My friend Elizabeth Lewis gloriously expounds on the nature of intelligence and how it applies to books. This is a good read right here, I suggest you take a look into it. Here's a snidbit of whats she has written here.

My dad is pretty much a genius. As a civil engineer, he daily processes things I can only imagine – advanced geometry, mathematical gymnastics, laws and ordinances and all the little things that make street plans work. But he’ll look at me playing the piano, shake his head, and say “That looks like magic to me.”

There’s no doubt in my mind that my dad is intelligent. Quite visibly so. But intelligence is relative depending on your location and what is happening. This is apparent in many stories just after the New World is introduced. This is the part where your hero encounters a whole world of possibility he never knew and isn’t prepared for. Imagine sending Sherlock through a portal to Middle Earth. What use would his specialized intelligence be there?


Often, intelligence is an overarching trait. It is an ability that helps your character to adapt to, learn from, and thrive in new situations. I can’t see Sherlock taking very long to figure out the new world and how it works, because he’s smart.

Pure Brilliance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment